You’ve been spotted – Showing Healthy Habits
Columbia State’s Healthy Employees of the month have been Spotted!
If you are on the Columbia Campus any afternoon you may have spotted these two ladies, Kae Fleming and Emily Siciensky, walking around Campus. If the weather does not cooperate, you will find them walking on the indoor track located on the lower level of the Webster Athletic Center (Gym).
Kae is starting her 31st year at Columbia State. She walks about 5 days a week; 3-4 miles each time. The walking is a stress reliever, a way to socialize, and get some fresh air.
Emily has been with us a little over 14 years. She walks every day and cleans stalls in her barn once a week. Emily said she loves to be outside and walking helps her clear her head, feel healthier and more relaxed.
Like all of us, both have their cheat foods that they limit but don’t give up. Kae and Emily agree finding a friend(s) to exercise with helps you stay accountable, consistent, and pass the time together. Using an exercise tracker and setting realistic goals can help you on the road to a healthier lifestyle.
DID YOU KNOW?
Both of our health insurance providers offer wellness discounts.
A Healthier Dessert
- 6 cups sliced apples, preferably half Granny Smith half McIntosh
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup flour
- 1/3 cup to ½ cup sugar, preferably half white, half packed brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3-4 tablespoons of margarine or butter, cold from the refrigerator
- Optional: ¾ cup chopped almonds or pecans; ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Core, slice, and place the apples in an 8X8 inch baking pan. Coat with ¼ cup sugar.
- Heat oven 375 degrees
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, and cinnamon (nutmeg if adding it). Add the margarine or butter, pinching it into the flour with your fingers until it looks like crumbly wet sand. Add nuts as desired
- Distribute the topping evenly over the apples.
- Bake for 40 minutes. If you want crisper topping, turn the oven up to 400 degrees for the last 5 minutes.
Yield: 6 servings
260 calories per serving; 50 g carbohydrate; 1 g protein; 6 g fat