Tutoring at the Teaching & Learning Center
Don’t wait! TLC tutoring is FREE and offered to all students currently enrolled at Columbia State. Come in early and often and find your place in the TLC! General Tutoring Appointment Policy
- Tutoring appointments are encouraged; however, we do accept walk-ins as the schedule allows.
- Individual appointments are typically 30 minutes.
- Scheduled appointments are limited to one hour per subject.
- Some group tutoring may be offered, depending on need.
- Appointments can be made from week to week but no more than one week in advance.
- If an appointment is made and later needs to be cancelled, please email us or call one of the contact numbers below. (Please give as much notice as possible so that other students can be scheduled during those times.)
- Students who consistently miss appointments without notification could lose their tutoring privileges for the semester.
- Writing tutors do not EDIT papers.
Expectations for Students
The Tutoring and Learning Center provides Columbia State students with free assistance in math, writing, and science in a positive, supportive atmosphere guided by our staff of professional and peer tutors. Our goal is to help you become independent learners and outstanding students.
To help us achieve our goal we’d like to share our expectations for a successful tutoring session:
About Our Tutors
- Be on time.
- Tell your tutor what you want to achieve during your session.
- Come prepared with specific questions over homework. Bring assignments, notes, textbooks, class material, calculator, flash drives, pencils, pens, etc.
- Actively participate in your tutoring session.
- Attempt to complete some of your homework before seeing a tutor. Remember: Tutors will not do your work for you.
- Schedule another appointment before your leave. Weekly appointments can result in better grades.
Put away cell phones. Remember: This is your time.
The TLC staff is comprised of professional and student tutors, Peer Leaders, student volunteers and Columbia State faculty. All tutors are trained to provide appropriate assistance.