High School Equivalency Tests
For the first time in the 75 years of testing, test-takers have a choice between two high school equivalency exams. The Lois DeBerry Tennessee Alternative Diploma Act was passed by the Tennessee General Assembly and approved by the State Board of Education in 2013. Beginning January 1, 2014, individuals seeking to earn a high school equivalency diploma will have the option of taking the HiSET® (High School Equivalency Test) or GED®(General Educational Development) Exam.
Passing either exam will lead to a state government-issued high school equivalency (HSE) diploma, the exact same credential that has been issued in Tennessee since 1944. The choice of which test to take is yours, either way, Adult Education personnel will be available to guide you every step of the way on your journey.(www.tn.gov/labor-wfd/AE/index.shtml).
Columbia State Community College Testing Services is an approved and certified Testing Center for High School Equivalency Tests. Columbia State Community College offers both assessments. The GED® test is computer-based format only. The HiSET® is available in both computer and paper-based format. Eligibility Requirements for the State of Tennessee:
- You must be at least 18 years of age without a high school diploma or high school equivalency certificate.
- Identification: You must present identification on test day. A valid driver’s license, passport, military ID, or other form of government issued (national or foreign) identification that shows name, address, date of birth, signature and photo are acceptable forms of identification. Outdated or expired identification will not be accepted.
- Practice Test: Tennessee requires all test takers to complete a Practice Test. You will be required to show proof prior or on your test date.
Pearson Vue GED®
Pre-registration is required for the GED® test(s). Test-takers must register online at www.GEDcomputer.com or by calling 1-877-EXAM-GED (1-877-392-6433). Test-takers must create a GED® account online.
Pre-registration is required for the HiSET® test(s). Test-takers must register online at www.HiSET.org or by calling 1-855-MyHiSET (1-855-694-4738). Test-takers must create a HiSET® account online.
Pearson Vue GED®
The cost is $120.00. Payment must be submitted with a debit or credit care online through your GED® account.
The total cost is $75.00 ($50.00 is paid online through your HiSET®
account and the $25.00 is paid to the Test Center as an administration fee before or on test date.)
HiSET Test Dates:
- Thursday, September 11 - Columbia campus (paper-based)
- Friday, September 12 - Lewisburg campus (paper-based)
- Thursday, September 18 - Columbia campus (paper-based)
- Friday, September 19 - Williamson County campus (paper-based)
- Thursday, September 25 - Lawrence County campus (paper-based)
- Thursday, October 2 - Columbia campus (computer-based)
- Thursday, October 16 - Lewisburg campus (paper-based)
- Friday, October 17 - Lawrence County campus (paper-based)
- Friday, October 24 - Williamson County campus (paper-based)
- Thursday, November 6 - Columbia campus (computer-based)
- Thursday, November 13 - Lewisburg campus (paper-based)
- Friday, November 14 - Williamson County campus (paper-based)
- Friday, November 21 - Lawrence County campus (paper-based)
- Thursday, December 4 - Columbia campus (computer-based)
- Thursday, December 18 - Williamson County campus (paper-based)
*You can schedule your HiSET test online through your HiSET account or by calling ETS Customer Service at 1-855-694-4738. NOTE: You must contact ETS Customer Service to schedule your appointment if you: (a) have a disability or health-related need and require testing accommodations or, (b) are paying for your exam with a voucher. Passing Test Scores (link to Crosswalk):
Test Score are not mailed to you from the Testing Center. Test-takers can view score reports from their personal GED® or HiSET® accounts. Complete scores are viewable seven to ten business days after the test date.
GED® Passing Score: No score lower than 150 Request for Transcript:
HiSET® Passing Score: No score lower than 8
You may request a copy of your official transcript by completing the Transcript Request Form and submitting it to the Testing Center by email or hard copy: GED/HiSET Transcript Request Form.
Columbia State DOES NOT fax GED® transcripts
Links for More Information:
(all preparation links on both the GED® and HiSET® websites)