Fire If you encounter a fire:
- If the fire is small, try to extinguish it. (See below for fire extinguisher instructions.)
- Do NOT use an extinguisher if:
You are not comfortable putting out the fire.
The fire is large.
Heavy smoke is filling the room.
Your escape route could be blocked.
There are especially combustible elements (such as flammable liquids) present.
How to use a fire extinguisher:
- Alert others and pull the closest fire alarm.
- Evacuate the building and stay low or crawl to stay below the smoke.
- Cover your nose and mouth to keep from inhaling the smoke.
- Do not use the elevator.
- Evacuate to a point at least 200 feet away from the building.
- Contact 9-911 and then Campus Security 9-797-7669
- Provide as much additional information as you can, such as where the fire (building name and address) is and if there are people inside.
- Do not re-enter the building until the fire department or police makes the ALL CLEAR announcement.
- Provide basic personal information to emergency response personnel for accountability.
- Pull the pin at the top of the extinguisher.
- Direct fire extinguisher toward the base of the fire.
- Squeeze the metal handles.