Active Shooter If an active shooter is reported or encountered:
If you are outside a building near the threat, go to nearest cover immediately.
If you are inside a building:
- If there are no obstacles blocking an exit and you are reasonably sure the shooter is at another location, quickly exit the building and move to safety.
If you cannot safely exit the building, secure the area by following these tips:
What to report to 911:
- Lock and barricade doors.
- Stay away from doors or windows.
- Turn off lights.
- Block windows.
- Turn off radios and computer monitors.
- Keep yourself out of sight (take cover/protection from bullets by using concrete walls or filing cabinets).
- Silence your cell phone.
Be prepared for the police response:
- Your specific location
- Number of people at your location
- Number of injured and types of injuries
- Assailant(s) – location, number of suspects, race/gender, clothing description, physical features, types of weapons, backpack, shooter’s identity (if known), separate explosions from gunfire, etc.
- Follow all instructions given by police officers.
- Understand their first actions will be to address the threat.
- Make sure empty hands are in plain view.