Columbia State continually accepts part-time faculty applications in all disciplines. Part time faculty are hired as needed on a semester-to-semester basis. Part-time faculty are hired to teach at campuses in Columbia, Franklin, Lawrenceburg, Lewisburg and Clifton. Part-time faculty are also hired to teach online courses.
The current rate of pay is $500 per semester credit hour. Workload adjustments will be made for faculty teaching classes where the number of contact hours exceeds the number of credit hours. Additionally, a travel stipend may be negotiated at time of hire for faculty traveling more than 80 miles each week to teach their classes.
Before you apply, make sure that you meet the minimum qualifications:
- Do you have a Master’s degree with 18 graduate semester hours in one of the following subject areas?Accounting, Administrative Professional Technology, Agriculture, Anthropology, Art, Astronomy, Biology, Business, Chemistry, Communication, Computer Information Technology, Computer Science, Criminal Justice, Early Childhood Education, Economics, Engineering, English, French, Geography, German, Health, History, Humanities, Information Systems, Marketing, Mathematics, Music, Philosophy, Physical Education, Physical Science, Physics, Political Science, Psychology, Social Work, Sociology, Spanish, Speech, or Theatre
- Do you have a Bachelor’s degree in a discipline related to one of the following subject areas? Learning Support Mathematics, Reading, or Writing
- Would you like to teach in one of the following professional, occupational, and technical programs and meet the specific requirements listed below?
- Commercial Entertainment, Film Crew Technology, Hospitality and Tourism Management, or Industrial Technology– A.A.S. degree or higher in related field and can provide documentation of outstanding professional experience in the discipline.
- Advanced Industrial Integrate Technology – A.A.S. degree or higher in Industrial/Engineering Technology, Industrial Electricity, or Electrical Maintenance and can provide documentation of outstanding professional experience in the discipline.
- EMS Education – Instructor Assistant - Current TN EMT-IV license without history of revocation, suspension, or denial of licensure. One year pre-hospital experience. 75 hours EMS related teaching experience (CPR, First Responder) and current BLS Instructor Certification.
- EMS Education – Instructor Coordinator - Associate degree. Current TN EMT-Paramedic license without history of revocation, suspension, or denial of licensure. Two years pre-hospital experience and 150 hours EMS related teaching experience (CPR, First Responder, EMT). Current BLS Instructor Certification. Completion of NAEMSE Instructor course.
- Health Information Technology - Bachelor's degree or higher in Health Information Technology or a related field and RHIT credential.
- Nursing - Bachelor’s degree in Nursing; Master’s in Nursing preferred. Clinical expertise in Foundations, Medical/Surgical, Pediatrics, Mental Health, or Women’s Health.
How To Apply:
Create an application packet that includes the following documents:
- Columbia State Part-time Employment Application
- Unofficial transcripts showing minimum requirements met for subject area. Upon hire, official transcripts must be sent from granting institution to the Office of Faculty, Curriculum & Programs at Columbia State.
- Contact Human Resources if you require any special accommodation.
Mail the application packet to:
Columbia State Community College
Office of Faculty, Curriculum & Programs
1665 Hampshire Pike
Columbia, Tennessee 38401
Frequently Asked Questions:
- If I have applied previously, do I need to submit a new application? Applications are retained for three years. If you are unsure of the date of your previous application email FaculyandPrograms@Columbiastate.edu to find out if your application is still on file. Make sure to include all possible names that would have been associated with your previous application.
- Can I apply directly with an academic department or campus? No, the application packet should be submitted to the Office of Faculty, Curriculum and Programs. There is a section of the application on which you will indicate the locations where you are interested in teaching.
- How soon will I hear from my application? You will receive a letter from the Office of Faculty, Curriculum and Programs so that you will know that your completed application packet was processed and is available to the Columbia State staff responsible for hiring part-time faculty. You will be contacted by one of these staff members if a part-time position becomes available.
- I have a Master’s degree in Curriculum and Instruction. Will that qualify me to teach? Your transcripts must show a Master’s degree with at least 18 graduate semester hours in an instructional discipline. For example, if you want to teach English, you must have 18 graduate semester hours in English.
- I am certified in Tennessee to teach K-12 does that qualify me to teach at Columbia State? Not unless you have the minimum credentials indicated above for your teaching discipline.
- My degree was completed outside the United States. Do I have additional requirements to be eligible to teach? You will need to submit an official translation and evaluation of your transcript from an accredited evaluation service such as World Education Services. The evaluation report must show that your degree and work is equivalent to the same level as the minimum requirements listed above at a regionally accredited institution.
Still Have Questions?
For more information about part-time teaching opportunities at Columbia State, call 931.540.2750 or email FaculyandPrograms@Columbiastate.edu.