Girls Really Love Science!
In an effort to promote and encourage the success of girls in science, technology, engineering and mathematics careers, Columbia State is hosting its third Girls Really Love Science event on October 22, 2016.
What is STEM GiRLS?
- One-day STEM forum
- Open to 6th, 7th & 8th grade girls
- Interactive hands-on STEM activities
- Provides awareness of STEM careers available to girls in Tennessee
- Promotes and encourages the success of girls in STEM
- Promotes the scientific and technological understanding of STEM fields
STEM GiRLS Workshops
The STEM GiRLS workshops are designed to teach middle school girls about the different opportunities in STEM-related careers as they begin to think about their futures.
Stations will be set up around campus for the girls to observe and participate as Columbia State faculty and guest presenters guide the girls through an interactive hands-on experience.
Topics include animal science, astronomy, biology, chemistry, engineering, math, computers and more.
The following are just a few of the workshop stations:
- Agriculture: Zoological Interaction
- Human DNA Analysis
- Lego Robot Programming
- Chemistry Flame Tests
- Self-Sustaining Ecosystems
- Creating Quick Response Codes
- Virtual Reality - Hide-n-Seek
- Aquaponics: Farming for a Growing World
- Magnetic Levitation
- Make Your Own All Natural Foundation, Blush, Eye Shadow
- and more
- Astronomer/Space Scientist
- Computer Systems/Game Designer
- Energy Technology
- Environmental Management
- Plant/Soil Scientist
- Robotics Research
- and more
Did You Know?
- Only 8.9% of Tennessee college degrees and certificates awarded in the STEM fields (Source: Change the Equation).
- Less than 25% of STEM jobs are held by women (Source: Economics & Statistics Administration).
- Salaries of women in STEM careers are 33% higher than the salaries of women in non-STEM careers (Source: Economics & Statistics Administration).
Parents & Teachers
Parents and teachers are invited to stay and attend the adult session, which will provide insight on how to encourage and guide young women in STEM classes and careers. STEM GiRLS will demonstrate to parents how their daughters can have rewarding and high-paying careers in a variety of STEM fields.